Tuesday, June 9, 2015

U.S Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor

U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor,  

oil on linen 40 x 30

 

Anyway here is Sonia…..I feel like I know her after reading her book and studying  her face for nearly a year. I have included below my  inspiration for this portrait.

 



I was inspired to paint Sonia after reading her book, “My Beloved World” and seeing her on 60 minutes.  I also respect her strong will, determination and hard work to break through the glass ceiling for Latinos and women. Woman in the field of official portraiture experience a male dominated glass ceiling also…so her accomplishments mean even more to me.

I used a public domain image for her head shot, capturing her signature smile and sharp twinkling eyes.  For the background, I added the flag for composition, and to symbolize her patriotism, (plus to add a little zip) like the Latino music she loves. I researched and found a pair of expressive earrings she wears. I also added the jabot to the Scotus Robe, which adds to the composition and gives an old master Velazquez like feel. I placed her in the Marshall Dining Room in the Supreme Court with her hands on one of the antique chairs.

In between my commissions, when I have time, I like to paint exceptional individuals who inspire me, this very often this leads to a successful outcome. For example, after finishing my portrait of former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, I was contacted by the U.S. Court of Appeals of the 7th Circuit. Now the portrait is hanging in their Judicial Conference Room in Chicago.”


Former Supreme Court Justice, John Paul Stevens
with the Medal of Freedom
Collection U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit
oil on canvas, 39 x 32


To see more paintings and portraits visit my website:

www.SusanDurkee.com



No comments:

Post a Comment